Tuesday, June 2, 2009

There's no such thing as "all good"











There are so many things I could write about. Truth is that I'm cashed. I've been crabbly ever since 5am when I woke up to something like gun shots going off outside my window and a small man lying in his blood wailing in pain. I think he was only shot in the leg. Someone else said that guys were hitting him and throwing something like m 80's at him. My crusty eyes looked down the street to see a police man standing there watching him. People here have a way of taking justice into their own hands.. for better or worse. Who knows how or why, if it was a gun or firecrackers, I though about it all day. Nobody here in this country has even given me a dirty look. I am not the naive tourist. I know danger could be around any corner any time.. even outside my window. I just haven't seen it here until this morning.

I went to a cemetary later in the morning to think near china town. The Chinopino's (like it? I just made up that word!) that live here bury their dead in coffins above ground in mostly elaborat marble houses which require a minimum of 25 yr rental fees. Some spaces are bought permanently but most must be repaid until the dead are forgotten. The death arrangements and amenities vary like the stuctures. One things for sure though, they test the theory that you can't take it with you. Many have all their favorite posessions burried with them. But, there's more to it- The marble death houses are complete with toilets, kitchens, decorations and furniture- some even have chandeliers, Many have several levels. I'd be just a little misleading if I gave you the impression that the houses were strictly for the dead, I saw two houses that actually had living occupants alongside of the dead.. Attatchment issues? In any sense, connection with the dead must be some sign of a strong community. Every sunday the living relatives gather in the marboleums (ha, I made that one up too.. I'm on a roll)to celebrate life among other things.. My guide "Eddy" told me that some relatives are even guilty of drinking beer and singing kareoke around the dead when the party gets really going. He should know, he was born in that cemetary 61 years ago and also told me that someday soon , he will probably die there too.

Cheers, Tomorrow I'm going to sing sing singapore!

Ps thankyou guys for the emails and facebook messages about my pictures and stories. It makes me feel good that you're enjoying this journey along with me.

Brian

1 comment: