Sunday, May 31, 2009

A cock in one hand...




Hi friends!

Yesterday I went to a cock fight! It was wicked! I'll put some pictures up probably tomorrow, Today is going to be a travel day once I get my things together.

For those of you who don't know, here's what I can tell of how a cock fight works.

Two roosters are prepared for the fight by attaching a knife like claw to one of their feet. They're held by their owners or trainers close to each other for a moment in order to develop a mortal hatred for each other. Usually the roosters are paired up closely to a specific weight class. After a few moments of encouraging the chicken to fight, the trainers release the birds into the arena and the fight begins. The crowd cheers, odds are given, people make bets with signals and the birds fight to the death.

I thought a lot about the fights yesterday. It's violent, a little gory and it involves killing for sport (although the birds are eaten). If you have a problem with that, I just ask you this before you start picking up mental stones to throw at the people who enjoy and participate in the sport...... Who the fuck do you think you are? That's what I said to myself. First off, How can I be the slightest bit condescending to this cultural event when the movies that my country makes are so graphically violent and that if I didn't know better, I'd think my own culture had a sort of detatched HUMAN bloodlust. I thought to myself that it's so easy to say "aww this is horrible, these people are making chickens kill eachother, it's so gruesome" But it's funny, this is the friendliest culture in the world that I've ever met! They don't have an army that invades nations, that fights violent and bloody wars that kills people. Fucking real people! Our news hardly even talks about the people we killed over in the sandbox. We demonise insurgents to make it OK for us to kill people while making cultures who practice things like chicken fighting evil because they're an easy target. I know everybody says things like "derrr, I didn't support a the war, killing's bad, I couldn't support that" Guess what, Everybody in the world knows that it's bullshit because if your country does something, YOU will be held accountable for it! No shit! bombs don't care if you point the finger at somebody else.

Look, I just got way off track. I do know that things are winding down over in Iraq and things are looking more to the bright side with our new president that I support. I'm just trying to make sense of things in my own mind. Life has many contradictions and I want to make it clear that if I sound like I'm lecturing someone that it only applies to you if you're one of those finger pointing, no responsibility taking people.. you know, the "California" type who love to tell people how the world should be run who can't even run their own state.

I think that maybe we should start public chicken fights in the USA so that we can see what real dying looks like. It's not pretty but it gave me a respect for life... and a wallet full of cash! I lost 3 fights, won 6 and tied two. Yes, you can tie- both chickens die at the same time!

2 comments:

  1. This was a great one! I believe that it is a very primative want for men to see death. It is as basic as women wanting to have babies. I think that cook fights are a good way to take out the agression that they feel deep down. If we had them here than we would have less violence against other people. I have two boys and no one "taught" them to be agressive and wanting to wrestle and fight with each other. The agression is there.....we should stop trying to change that, it is a very needed thing! ( and for those who think that I just hate animals.... I don't wear or eat meat... You just must know when to sacrifice a few animals lives for a piece of mind for man.)

    ReplyDelete