Thursday, June 4, 2009

Misplaced soul high fives the grim reaper





First, I uploaded a few pics to previous posts so if you look back a little you can see them.

Todayhas been a mix of days. This morning I wasn't feeling so smooth here are some direct thoughts from my journal.

This mornings sun brings an attack on the security of my nationalism. I am the invading force, I am the outsider, I am not prepared, I'm an alien. I felt entitled, now I feel insecure with my bright tattoos, cargo shorts, messy hair, Tshirt with the beer logo, sunglasses and sandles. My "original" Casio watch that all the philipinos liked doesn't even confort my wrist like it did last week. The world is happening here in a great burst of clean cut, well groomed, Armani suit wearing, D and G dress wearing, brief case flaunting, hustling humanity. These people hold their heads so high and proud because they should. They're doing things that our human race will look back on and be proud of some day, They should because if they were gods youngest son he would be smiling at them right now. I cannot compare. The backpackers at my hostel in "little india" are quieter than usual. All white, all the same, completely out of place- A little lost and inherently confused. High rise buildings frame a metropolitain poertrait of the city where vacant space permits while the newest structures neighbor the heavens and crowd the clouds changing perspectives and the horizon. The skyline grows in all directions. This isn't happening in my country. The shoreline of the Singapore river flourishes like a well kept garden with colorful optical entertainment like clubs, discos, tapas bars, pavillions, wave like architecture, colorful stadium seating for events, a giant ferris wheel, national monuments and lush greenery. I heard music at a club last night from outside but my name wasn't on the guest list and was refused entry- Atleast the customs ninjas at the airport allowed me to pass after a thermal scanning and confirmation that I could be located if needed be my visa revoked for N1H1. There are no dive bars here with confotable souls content with drinking their ambition to work away, there are no drug addicts in the streets (they're all dead or if lucky in prison) There isn't even litter. All of that belongs outside of the hive. I'm not even sure what they do with the homeless here but the lowest class of people I've seen so far were cleaning the streets in nice clean uniforms.

Bla bla bla bla .. That's how I felt this morning, I feel great now. It's funny how things can happen that will immediately change your attitude.. This was HUGE!

So, I left starbucks- (shut up, I hate starbucks) and decided to wander around the city looking for pictures. Wander being the key word, I came to an intersection , looked around, left, right, forward, who cares- it's a huge city. highrises everywhere. Fuck it, I though. Straight! I crossed the street stopped at the other side and though hmmm, maybe left. first I'll change my camera lense, I'm going to need wide angle. I paused to hear the word NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Just then, where I figure I could have been if I had continued to walk, a huge glass window fell from 15 stories above and on to the sidewalk (frame and all) sounding so loud you would have though a grenade had gone off. Glass was everywhere. My attitude changed immediately. It's good to be alive folks! Besides when was I ever not just a little out of place.. I forgot this morning that I live. I live in part for that challenge.

4 comments:

  1. you are such a great writer. sounds scary and depressing, hmmmm, this is the future. very 1984. clean spaces and faces with restless minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad the window missed you :)
    just caught up on all your posts. Your writing is amazing, I subscribed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! That makes Ten! I'm in the double digits. Thanks Mary, I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete