Saturday, June 27, 2009

Hello Guys. I couldn't hang in the big city of Jakarta. You would not believe how big it is and how many people are there. For example, there's one night club that opens on Thursday and closes on Monday morning. It holds a meager 4000 people! Alcohol is also not the escape of chioce.. Strange, I know, in a country that happily announces on every flight that drug trafficking is a crime punishable by death. P.S. Have a nice day!

Jogjakarta is a different place all together. Still quite large in size, Jogja is ruled by a Sultan. Although the people here are primarily Muslim, There's a massive and mostly abandoned Buddha statue and temple here and a Hindu Temple of which I'm also going to visit tomorrow.

Today, I've been wandering around the little city villages of Sosrowijayan. There's three main areas, Gang one two and three which are mostly little walkways and crawlspaces that you have to be Indonesian to get through. They're each separated by walls. For good reason too, Gang three is where the prostitutes hang out. Gang1 and two are more or less hotels(I use that word loosely here) shops of sorts and restaurants. The people here are very friendly and kind. I have to wake up early to catch the sunrise over the Buddha statue but it shouldn't be a problem because my room is feet away from the mosque and here they start praying at 430 am with a loud song hailed over amplified speakers that lets the world know that everybody should praise Allah.

I'm killing some time here surfing the net and chillin because all my action will be tomorrow and have little else to do. I'm uploading a video of one of the orangutans I saw in Bukit lawang because It's the coolest thing to watch them walk and you should see it for yourself. This one is the one I was photographing from the river who decided that the rock I was on looked like a good place to sit-Sending me into the water with my friend. Also I'm uploading a video of my view at lake Toba.

No comments:

Post a Comment