Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Amsterdam's for the birds

I'm just getting my feet wet here in Delhi. I'm still a little jet lagged from the two day flight over here around the other side of the world (via Amsterdam) But get this.. After arriving in Amsterdam and taking off for Delhi my plane hit a flock of birds that got sucked into the engine! Smokin feathers duck man! Crazy huh! The captain said that as far as he could tell there was no damage to the mechanics of that huge boeing 747-400 class sky boat that holds over 400 people (every seat on this ride was over packed with curry smellying gassy smiling people with children..Lucky I had a middle seat too!) But because of potential danger on such a long flight we turned around and landed back at the schipole airport to board another plane.. Time damage= 5 hrs delay. Ooops, I shouldn't have taken that sleeping pill just after take off, I was wrecked! Still, the calm sound of the captains voice had an effect on me that I could only describe as thrilled! I was hoping for a water landing like sully sullenberg made on the hudson.. No, Not because I have a death wish.. I love life! I want that gold pass for flying anywhere any time for the rest of my life.. that I figure they give you if you're ever involved in an airline incident. No such luck. I did however witness that mammoth plane jettosen hundreds of gallons of fuel out of the wing tips to lessen the landing weight of the plane.. Pretty wild, The fuel looked like it turned into smoke as it hit the atmosphere. We landed uneventful. End of story.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah E. Minor/AndersonDecember 9, 2009 at 6:47 AM

    I'm really glad you landed uneventful. I'm counting on you!

    ReplyDelete